Saturday, February 28, 2015

{Abiding}: So We Can Abide





It's that time of year when I have to head down to the bank and get a medical release form for my teenage Bright Girl notarized. So she can go with her friends to the Mid-Winter youth camp.

Without mom and dad.


For this homeschool mom, time to be turning my worries for her wellbeing into prayers and trust in the Lord's care for her.

As I sat in the waiting area in the middle of the bank, I noticed all the other patrons. Leaned over their smart gadgets, pressing buttons. 


Having a "no frills" cell phone that only makes calls, I didn't know what to do with myself. No women's magazines to read. Only a few revolving bank commercials on the overhead T.V. 


Fishing through my purse, I tried to find something to do, to not feel so awkward waiting.


The bank worker came to the waiting area, but passed me by to speak to the next customer. She said something in Spanish and then they both went into an office.


Then at the bottom of my purse, I spotted it. My English/Spanish translator. I've had this electronic pocket translator since I was a teen. And I've never changed the batteries. 


I pressed the power button. It flickered on.


What better time to brush up on some Spanish. I started from the very beginning. The "A" words. And read English/Spanish definitions from A to Z while I waited.


When I got to ABIDE, I paused at the definition.


ABIDE in Spanish is soportor. Sounds like support.


But, in Spanish, soportor is only used in a negative sense, like 

can't abide people who slurp their soup.

Us siblings in Christ have trouble abiding with each other sometimes.


Loving each other with all our flaws.


Extending {GRACE}


Why is that?


We tend to mimic our culture and break off and away into cliques.


Don't we?


But, that leaves some people out.


And, if they know we are Christians by our love, that's gotta change. 


We have to, by the grace of God, abide with everyone who draws near to the throne of grace. 


Because Christ draws near to us, despite the ugly things we've done, we can do the same.


And, help make the church and the world a more beautiful place.


A place of love.


Because these three remain: faith, hope and love.


But, only one lasts when we meet our Savior face-to-face.


Where faith and hope are a reality, it's love that endures forever.


Let us be siblings who abide in Christ and abide with each other.



We may not be strong enough, but He is.




We can lean on Him.




And, when our turn comes, we can be that Grace-carrier who lends a hand.






May we all lean on Christ and be the Grace-carriers to each other and to the nations that do not know Him.


"Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me." John 15:4











No comments:

Post a Comment